Taken in about 1930, this photo shows the newly built brick wall in front of The Clays. The property had been purchased by Lewis Selby in the 1920s and he embarked in a huge restoration project on both the house and the grounds. The Ketteridge family who were Ashdon bricklayers were employed to undertake much of the work, including the wall which replaced the original low fence. They also maintained Ashdon’s only milestone, which reads “2 miles to Bartlow Station”.
During WWII The Clays was used as a hospital, connected to RAF Castle Camps.
On the right are two timber and plaster cottages which later became one house, first called Clematis Cottage and then Jesters. Further down the road, is a brick-built Victorian terrace of three houses known as Clay Cottages.