This photograph was taken in about 1900 with the photographer standing outside the Rose and Crown public house. On the right of the picture you can see The White Horse Inn, which had been open since the 1700s but closed in 1902. Just beyond the Inn, the picket gates lead to the bakery which was run by the Martin family for over 60 years.
On the left side of the picture are two brick-built, Victorian cottages, one of them being the home of Robert Matthews the village cobbler. The two cottages became on in the 1930s and housed the Post Office from then until the 1970s.
The next building on the left is The Fox, a public house until the late 1950s. Arthur Moss, the pub landlord can be seen standing next to the door. Mr Moss was also the village butcher, running the business from the adjacent building. Mr Moss was killed in 1906 when he was thrown from his cart while returning from Haverhill market.
Like another QR code scene, until the 1930s, the county boundary ran down the middle of the street, so the properties on the left are in Cambridgeshire, the ones on the right are in Essex.